With the combination of warm weather, a heavy snowpack, and recent rainfall, we are encountering numerous client concerns around flooding. Where is all this water is going to go?!
What you should know
When snow melts and the frozen ground thaws, water can find its way into your home causing various levels of damage.
Insurance coverage is determined by how the water enters your home. The three most common ways are:
- Surface water – Water that collects on the surface of the ground and enters your home through a window, door, or other opening.
Surface water situations are typically not covered by insurance unless you have purchased a flood insurance policy.
- Foundation seepage – Water that infiltrates your home through hydrostatic pressure/seepage of water through the foundation or walls.
Foundation seepage situations are typically not covered by insurance.
- Water backup – Water enters your home through a line/drain or a drain tile system. This may include a sewer line or sump pump backup or failure.
Water backup situations are typically covered by insurance, but are potentially dependent on if you have a sump system and subject to your policy’s water sewer back up limit.
Insurance coverage is ALWAYS dependent on each individual situation. Coverage scenarios will vary by carrier and the conditions and specifics of each property. Individual carriers will determine if and what coverage is available.
Prevention is always the best defense! A few things you can do to potentially lessen the damage caused by spring flooding:
- Shovel snow away from the foundation of your home.
- Extend your downspouts as far away from your home as possible (make sure they are not frozen!).
- Check your sump pump to make sure it is in good condition and ready for melting water.
- Check your basement regularly for signs of water.
- Move valuables off the floor of your basement or away from any potentially problematic areas.
- Use fans or dehumidifiers to dry water damage as soon as possible.
If you have any questions or are experiencing significant problems, contact a trusted contractor or water removal company as soon as possible.
We’re happy to help! Contact the Cox Insurance team with any questions.
Cox Insurance provides Home, Auto, Liability and Commercial insurance that exceeds expectations. For a personalized quote, please contact us here.